Tom Tarnowsky collected this series of photographs which show how the pipes that carried Croton Water were fitted into the High Bridge.
The first image comes from Marc Cheshire of CrotonHistory.org. He is also the Village historian for Croton-on-Hudson. This original stereoscope image dates from circa 1861 when the covering over the two 36 inch pipes on the High Bridge had been removed in preparation for the addition of the 90 inch pipe. Note the human figure leaning against the pipes in the foreground. View is looking towards bucolic Westchester County, this neighborhood later to become The Bronx.
The second image shows a 90 inch pipe section being hoisted to the top of the High Bridge, from an unprocessed collection at the Library of Congress.
The third image shows temporary rail tracks and a steam engine used for a travelling crane atop the bridge in 1861, also from an unprocessed collection at the Library of Congress.