During the active days of the Aqueduct, overseers in charge of patrolling and maintaining specific sections of this infrastructure vital to New York City were provided with houses on or near the section of the tunnel for which they were responsible. The only one of these houses that survives is the classic, brick Italianate-designed structure on the trail at Walnut Street in Dobbs Ferry. The Keeper's House was built in 1857, and was the home of the principal superintendent of the Aqueduct, north of New York City. As part of the Aqueduct, the Keeper’s House is also a designated landmark. It has not been occupied since 1962.
The New York City water supply system, which also supplies Westchester County with its drinking water, is one of the great municipal water supply systems in the world. Our hope is to see the Keeper’s House restored as a visitor center with classrooms and an archive that will educate the public about the early history of this pioneering infrastructure.
The Friends, working hands-on, have replaced most of the windows and completed other initial restoration tasks, but the bulk of the work remains to be carried out. We welcome volunteers with building and carpentry skills as well as those willing to learn those skills.
Please consider making a donation to help us to see this project to completion.
Wanted: More information about James Bremner. As Keeper of one section of the Aqueduct, James Bremner lived in the Keeper’s House for nearly 30 years. We know some details about him -- when he started the job, when he died, where he is buried (Dobbs Ferry), his origin (probably Scotland). If you have any information about him or his family, please let us know.